Undergraduate Students Approved Leave of Absence from the University

Leave of absence (LOA) for up to three consecutive semesters is granted to students (U.S. citizens only) who are with Good Academic Standing (cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better) and who wish to suspend their undergraduate studies. Students must contact the Registrar's Office to apply for a LOA. Students who enroll at another college or university while on a leave of absence are considered withdrawn from the University and must apply for readmission before being permitted to re-enroll at the University. If official withdrawal paperwork is not received, the student is considered unofficially withdrawn. NOTE: Students should be advised that financial aid will be recalculated if the student takes a leave of absence prior to completing 60% of the semester. See the Financial Aid - LOA portion of this catalog for details.

RLOA - Returning from Leave of Absence

When the student is ready to return from LOA (RLOA), contact the LOA/WD Specialist at the Registrar's Office to initiate the process of return. Students may enroll for classes at the end of their approved leave without applying for readmission. If the three semester limit has expired, the student must apply for readmission. 

Approved LOA from Gallaudet University Checklist

Academic Advisor (AA) & Director of Academic Advising
Meet with your AA – and the Director of Academic Advising. Discuss/explain your reasons for requesting a leave of absence, concerns and then obtain their signatures on the University LOA form. Be aware that there is an investigation if your LOA request is requested after the beginning of the 8th week of the semester.

Financial Aid & Scholarships (FA)
Discuss your financial aid status and situation and determine options, necessary actions, what aid may be lost and how this will impact your with FA loan repayment. If you are receiving FA – obtain the required signature. You are not going to be considered an active or continuing student at GU until while on LOA which will impact your loan repayment status.

Student Financial Services (SFS)
You must clear all Gallaudet debt, no outstanding fees, charges or SFS holds on your student account to be eligible to return from LOA. Contact the SFS regarding your account and if applicable receive reimbursement for the term. This is not applicable after the 4th week by policy. It is best to request LOA at the end of a semester or before a new semester begins.

Residence Life 
If you have a campus dorm room, you are required to notify Residence Life and go through a dorm check out exit/vacate process. You will be granted time to vacate your dorm properly and return all residence access key cards. Resident dorm students must attain this required signature for LOA processing. Check Residence Hall Policies for information.

You will need to return all borrowed books and materials to the Gallaudet Library and check on all outstanding library fees

Vocational Rehabilitation
You are responsible for notifying your Vocational Rehabilitation office regarding your LOA. If your VR contacts Gallaudet and learns of your non-enrolled status – you may have problems with your VR in the future

Veterans Education Benefits
If you are receiving VA veteran’s education benefits, contact your veteran office counselor to inform them of your university LOA and update your status. This is a requirement and your duty. You signed a form as a student at the Registrar’s Office with your student agreement

GU Post Office
Submit a forwarding address to the Gallaudet University PO to forward your mail to you. 

As you complete the university LOA form – be sure all offices have their own copy and that you retain copies of any residency exit, FA exit, SFS final bill, copy your GU ID to keep with your personal records for use later with transcript requests, billing inquiries, and possibly readmission if you do not return to GU before your LOA expires.

Registrar’s Office 
Be sure to submit your completed form to the Registrar’s Office. – bring your GU ID. If you are unable to come to Gallaudet – please send your form by mail or fax to the office for review and final processing. Only the student may sign this form unless legally you appoint someone (documentation required). You may give your student ID to the Registrar’s Office to keep in your file while you are on approved LOA. This action is to protect you as well as the university from legal or campus concerns. Check all boxes on left to know if you are ready to submit your GU ID.