Below is the step-by-step process for evaluating your transfer credits:
- If you are still in the application process, send an official transcript(s) directly to the Office of Admissions for evaluation of transfer credits . If you are currently enrolled at Gallaudet University, send your transcript(s) to the Registrar's Office. Faxed or electronic transcripts are not considered official.
- If you are an international student, translations and evaluations must be submitted to Gallaudet through any of the three US credential evaluators listed on the International Credits webpage.
- The Transfer Specialist performs a preliminary evaluation for the Office of Admissions with approximate number of transfer credits.
- The Transfer Specialist will be able to evaluate courses with an unofficial transcript to give you an idea of what may be transferred; however, transfer credits are not officially awarded until you submit the official transcript(s).
- Course descriptions are sent out by the Transfer Specialist to various department chairpersons. Some academic departments require a copy of the course syllabus for further review. You will be informed on your TCE if syllabi are needed. The chairpersons and/or a few faculty members selected by the chair decide on the equivalency of the courses. If the transfer course is the equivalent of a course offered at Gallaudet University, you will be granted the Gallaudet equivalent. General electives will be given for non-equivalent courses.
- After receiving signed evaluations from department chairpersons, the Transfer Specialist prepares the final transfer evaluation for you and your academic advisor.
- Meet with your academic advisor to further discuss course scheduling and remaining course requirements needed for graduation.
- The Transfer Specialist feeds and posts all official transfer credits in the PeopleSoft system (your BISON account) once you become matriculated. You will be matriculated once you have completed all admissions paperwork and paid all fees.
- To allow for timely scheduling your first semester of classes here at Gallaudet, we impose a deadline of August 1st (Fall semesters) and December 1st (Spring semesters) for all college transcripts to be submitted to the Admissions office, who in turn will hand the transcripts to the Transfer Specialist in the Registrar's Office for evaluation.
- All hard-copy documents and completed paperwork for transfer credits are filed in your student file in the Registrar's Office.
- The number of credits granted determines your academic level.
- Freshman - 0 to 24 credits
- Sophomore - 25 to 55 credits
- Junior - 56 to 89 credits
- Senior - 90 or more credits