Programs for Gallaudet Staff, Faculty and Administrators

What is the Fulbright Program for Scholars?

The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to “increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries.” [Source:]


  • Campus Representative Network—This is a community of higher education administrators, faculty, and Fulbright Program alumni across the U.S. who work in every type of accredited institution of higher education and serve as the main point of contract for the Fulbright Scholar Program with American higher education.
  • Scholar-in-Residence Program—Through this program, U.S. colleges and universities collaborate with scholars from other countries to assist in internationalizing U.S. campuses, curricula, and communities.
  • Outreach Lecturing Fund—This provides funding for campuses to host Fulbright Visiting Scholars, who are already in the U.S., for short-term speaking engagements.
  • Community College Administrators Seminar in the Russian Federation—This initiative brings senior American community college administrators to Russia for meetings and events with their Russian counterparts.
  • Core Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program—Each year, this program provides approximately 800 grants supporting teaching and research in more than 125 countries.
  • German Studies Seminar—This is a two-week seminar in Germany designed for a small cohort of scholars of German studies and other disciplines.
  • Fulbright International Education Administrator Seminars—These two-week seminars engage U.S. administrators with overseas peers in a comparative study of the society, culture, and higher education systems of France, Germany, India, Japan, South Korea, or the United Kingdom.
  • Fulbright Specialist Programs—The program awards grants for short-term (two to six weeks) collaborative projects in more than 140 countries and 24 academic disciplines. (Note: More information on the previous four programs can be found at
  • Fulbright Specialist Program—This program awards grants to qualified U.S. faculty and professionals in select disciplines to engage in collaborative projects ranging from two to six weeks at eligible institutions worldwide. FSP projects are encouraged that contribute to the creation of new academic programs or fields of study at host country institutions of higher education; building institutional relationships with U.S. academia; or strengthening newly established or developing host country universities.
  • Fulbright International Education Administrators Program—Through two-week seminars, this program enables U.S. grantees to establish lasting connections within the social, cultural, and educational systems of other countries.
  • Fulbright Ambassador Program—The program identifies, appoints, trains, and engages a select group of Fulbright alumni to serve as representatives for the Fulbright Program at campus workshops and academic conferences across the U.S. For more information, contact

Who's Eligible?

Every U.S. college and university academic, from instructor to professor emeritus, as well as nontenured faculty, adjuncts, administrators, independent scholars, professionals outside academe, and retirees are eligible to apply for a Fulbright scholarship to allow them continued professional development.

How do I get more information?

The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program is administered by the Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES).

Gallaudet Campus Contacts:

  • Steven Collins, Department of Interpretation
  • Dr. Gaurav Mathur, interim dean, Graduate School and Continuing Studies
  • Charles Reilly, Office of Research Support and International Affairs
  • Marilyn Sass-Lehrer, Department of Education