Below are the frequently asked questions that the Office of Residence Life and Housing have received from residents in University residence halls. We will be adding more questions whenever they become frequent.


  • What kind of appliance am I allowed to bring?

Any appliance that does not contain an open heating element and is approved by the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) is allowed. Microwave ovens are permitted. However, the following items are NOT permitted: toasters, toaster ovens, sandwich makers, cooking burners, and any similar appliances. Some items that are not on this list may still be forbidden. When in doubt, please call our office.

  • Can I bring my computer?

Yes! Gallaudet University has been superb in keeping pace with computer technology advances. Each room is equipped with an ethernet hookup to allow for networking. You will be required to purchase an Ethernet card if one does not exist in your hardware (information will be provided by the Gallaudet Technology Services during business registration). You are encouraged to buy insurance for your computer and to register it with the Department of Public Safety when you arrive. Please reference the Gallaudet University Technology Policy governing the use of University network resources.

  • Does my room have a telephone?

Landline telephone services are not provided by the University and if a telephone is desired, Voice-Over Internet Phones (VOIPs) can be used. You can buy a VOIP and install it in your room, however, you will be responsible for covering VOIP service fees if any. 

  • What do you suggest that I bring with me?

You will need your own small wastebasket, study lamp, mattress pad for your bed (mattress is 80" long), extra long twin sheets, hangers, alarm clock, iron, small ironing board, laundry basket, and other personal items. Be aware of your room size and space limitations. There are no storage rooms in the residence halls. Please browse through the Housing and Dining Brochure to learn what you can and what you should not bring.

  • Am I allowed to bring my car?

Yes. Cars are allowed on campus. All cars must be registered with the Department of Public Safety where you will be issued a parking permit. You must provide proof of insurance. Please visit Parking on Campus for more information.

  • Can I have an overnight guest in my room?

Guests, who are not students who reside on campus, are permitted only upon invitation. It is the responsibility of the host or hostess to ensure that the guest is properly registered and that the guest's presence or behavior does not infringe on the rights of a roommate or other residents.

  • Can I bring my pet?

No. For reasons of health and safety, no pets are permitted in the residence halls or even on the Gallaudet campus. Service animals may be permitted on campus. If you plan to bring your service animal, contact the Assistance Animal Accommodation Coordinator for policy information and registration via e-mail at You can view the Administration and Operations Manual policy on Service Animals here.


  • Are residents required to have meal plans?

Yes. All on-campus residents are required to participate in a meal plan. You have a choice of three different meal plans (21, 15, or 10 meals per week). Residents who reside in the Faculty Row houses, married apartments, and family apartments are exempt from this requirement; however, if they wish to have a meal plan, they can sign up for one. For more information, check out the Food Services webpage.

  • What if I'm on a special diet?

Gallaudet University is very conscious of our students with special dietary needs. The University Dining Services manager is available to anyone who has concerns about dining on campus. If you need special meals or are requesting a waiver from the University Meal Plan, please check out the Food Services webpage for further instructions.

  • May I cook in my room?

Yes, but only with the appropriate and authorized cooking appliances such as a microwave. Please see above for a list of approved appliances that can be used in the residence hall. 


  • Who is eligible to live on campus?

All first-year and second-year students are required to reside on campus. All other full-time students are eligible to reside on campus and are given priority as well; however, part-time students may reside on campus pending availability.

  • Can my contract be terminated?

Yes. If you violate your residence contract or if you are academically dismissed, your contract to live in the residence hall can be terminated.

  • Can I stay on campus during vacations or breaks?

Yes. You may remain on campus during the Thanksgiving and Spring breaks. However, the meal plans do not cover the Spring Break. During the Winter Break, you must physically vacate the building, but you may leave your belongings in the room. Refer to the academic calendar for the dates of the Winter Break.

  • Can I stay on campus over the summer?

You may stay on campus over the summer only if you are attending the summer session or are working in the metropolitan area. You should expect to move to a designated summer residence hall. You will be paying for the room should you decide to stay during the summer.


  • What if I don't like my roommate?

First, do not be quick to make judgments. We encourage you to attempt working out the problem by talking with your roommate. If you are unable to work out a solution, contact your residence hall staff for alternatives. A room change can be made only if space is available or a switch can be made. A Roommate Change period will be done during the first or second week of each academic semester (Fall and Spring) and again during the first week of December for the Spring academic semester.

  • Do I have a choice of roommate(s)?

For new students, rooms and roommate(s) are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Office of Residence Life and Housing matches roommates by sex and age similarities. If you have a preferred roommate, you and your roommate of choice must both fill out the application with the name of your roommate preference.

After your first year on campus, you will participate in the regular room lottery process based on a point system (GPA and credits accumulated).

  • How can I be assigned a single room?

Limited single rooms are available for those who have medical/disability needs. Any available single rooms will be open to individuals who have applied for a single room through the Room Lottery process. 


  • May I drink alcoholic beverages in the residence hall?

Gallaudet University is committed to providing a campus environment that is free from illegal or abusive use of drugs and alcohol. All students are subject to state and local laws pertaining to alcohol. Students must be 21 years of age to consume or possess any form of alcoholic beverage. There are residence halls designated as alcohol-free and, regardless of students' or guests' ages, no alcoholic beverages are permitted. In other residence halls that are not designated as alcohol-free, people of legal drinking age, either resident students or guests, may consume or possess alcohol.

  • What are the consequences of violating the alcohol policy?

Depending on the severity of the alcohol policy violations, there is a range of sanctions that may be assigned. Please review the Alcohol and Other Drugs Point System Policy section in the online Student Handbook for more information. 

  • What will happen if my guest possesses, transports, or consumes any type of alcoholic beverages within the residence halls?

Guests are allowed to possess, transport, or consume alcoholic beverages in the residence halls if the guest is of legal drinking age and the residence hall is not a dry residence hall. If your guest is underage or violates the Alcohol and Other Drugs Policies such as giving alcoholic beverages to an underage individual, your guest will more likely be removed from the campus by the Department of Public Safety and you will be charged for a policy violation for your guest's conduct.

  • Am I allowed to consume alcohol in the hallways?

No opened bottles or cans of alcoholic beverages are allowed in public areas. This includes the hallways and lobbies in the residence halls.

  • Are there any restrictions on the size of containers of alcoholic beverages in the residence halls?

Party balls and kegs are not permitted in the residence halls.

  • Can someone be arrested for possessing, using, or distributing drugs on campus?

YES. Federal law and the Student Code of Conduct prohibits these activities ANYWHERE on campus.