All first-year and second-year undergraduates are required to live on campus. The Housing Operations Manager will review and decide on all exemption requests.

There may be instances where the following conditions may be considered for exemption from the policy:

For the entire period in question, the student will continue to live with his/her parents or court-appointed legal guardian(s) in the family home where the street address of the home is no more than fifty (50) miles from Gallaudet University's main campus; 
NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION: A Notarized letter from Parent/Guardian verifying residency, Driver's License, State-Issued ID Card, Wireless Phone statement, Credit Card statement, and among others.

At least nine (9) credit units of the student's course load are online courses; 

The student has already lived on-campus for two complete academic years (four semesters) at Gallaudet University or at another accredited college or university; 
NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION: Provide proof of housing via Gallaudet or other institutions.

The student is married or in a domestic partnership. Students with plans to marry during the time they are required to live on-campus will be required to live on-campus up to the date of marriage on the marriage license or proof of domestic partnership; 
NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION: Provide copy of marriage license or certification of domestic partnership.

The student is the legal custodial parent or court-appointed custodial guardian of a minor child(ren) and proof of documentation must be given showing that the minor child(ren) is living with the student; or 
NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION: Provide proof of documentation from a government agency or judicial entity.

The student is registered with the Office of Students with Disabilities (OSWD) with a documented disability, approved by OSWD, to verify the need for housing accommodations in the residence halls which the University is unable to provide. To learn about the housing accommodations process, please navigate to OSWD
NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION: Decision Letter or E-Mail from OSWD stating that the University is unable to provide accommodations.

The Housing Operations Office reserves the right to consider each request on a case-by-case basis and require any documentation deemed necessary to verify the information submitted with the request.

A minimum of ten (10) business days is required to process requests. Exemption decisions will be sent to the student's official University e-mail address. It is very important that the exemption request contains as much information as possible to ensure an expeditious evaluation process.

The student is advised not to enter into any off-campus lease or rental agreement before the University makes its determination with regard to the student's request.


The second-year student must renew his/her approval for the second year by submitting a new exemption request. The renewal must be completed prior to the Room Lottery. If the renewal is not complete, the Housing Operations Office will place a hold on the student's enrollment status.


Any student who provides false information to obtain approval to live off-campus as well as any student who has obtained legitimate approval to live off-campus consistent with the policy but whose living arrangements are not consistent with those approved is subject to the following:

  • The student will be required to promptly move on-campus;
  • The student will forfeit his/her eligibility to submit another request for approval to live off-campus;
  • The student will be financially responsible for on-campus housing charges for the time he/she was not in compliance with the Residency Requirement Policy; and
  • The student will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct for the University charge of Furnishing False Information.


Should you disagree with the decision by the Housing Operations Manager, you may request reconsideration of the decision within five (5) business days after receiving the decision. To submit a request for reconsideration of an exemption decision, please navigate to the Reconsideration page.