The Freshman Peer Advisor (PA) is a part-time student paraprofessional position within the Office of Residence Life and Housing, a unit of Student Affairs. PAs are responsible for performing the four paraprofessional roles of counseling, advising, administrating and programming. Freshman PAs are primarily responsible for Benson Hall, the freshman residence hall.
- Lives in the designated residence hall and become acquainted with students within your dorm and other dorms to the extent PAs are able to provide basic counseling to students on personal & academic concerns.
- Provides appropriate information about Gallaudet University facilities, services, and resources.
- Reports areas of student concern to Coordinator of Residence Education (CRE) of resident's assigned dorm so they can respond to student needs and Peer Advisor Program Administrator.
- Supports and educate students in the student development philosophy and approaches.
- Responds to student referrals from CRE and Program Administrator.
- Consults with CRE and Program Administrator on individual student problems.
- Meets weekly with CRE of your assigned dorm for consultation and training. Offer a variety of constructive suggestions and ideas to develop programs that are responsive to students' developmental needs and are both interesting and educationally valuable.
- Serves as planner, sponsor, coordinator, and supervisor for floor educational and social activities.
- Coordinates with Residence Life and Housing staff in areas of mutual responsibility.
- Reports directly to CRE and Program Administrator and trainer on all PA matters.
- Creates, plans, and implements residence hall programming activities within assigned residence hall.
- Supports residence hall-wide programming with residence hall staff.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned by your Program Administrator or trainer including recruiting and interviewing PAs, evaluating programs and projects, continuing contacts with faculty, and representing the PA program at off-campus and on-campus events.
PARTICIPATING AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Participates in Fall & Winter training sessions before each semester begins.
- Fall Training Session in August
- Winter Training Session in January
- Training dates will be communicated after hire
- Assists with New Student Orientation as needed.
- Communicates on a regular basis with visitors, Office of Residence Life and Housing staff, and University officials.
- Participates in the following:
- Attends residence hall staff meetings
- Attends in-service programs
- Attends group supervision meetings
- Aligns priorities so that PA job responsibilities take precedence over personal commitments.
- May not have any commitments outside the position (i.e. internship, extra-curricular activities, athletics, and second jobs) without the express consent of the PA Program Administrator.
- Maintains standards of personal and professional conduct and serves as a role model for students and other residence hall staff.
Compensation will be in either the form of hourly pay or a room waiver option.
- Able to handle and cope with stress and ambiguity.
- Good interpersonal competence.
- Have the ability to accommodate communication needs of students.
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student registered full-time and have lived on campus for at least a year.
- Must possess experience in planning, participating as a team member, and have knowledge of campus resources.
- Must be in good standing with the University.
- At time of hire and throughout employment, candidate must maintain a Cumulative and Semester Grade Point Average (GPAs) of at least 2.7 (for undergraduate students) and 3.0 (for graduate students) each semester including summer sessions (if you are enrolled in summer courses).
- Understands and work within the philosophy of student development held by the Office of Student Affairs at Gallaudet University.
TO APPLY - To apply for this position, please click here.
APPLICATION TIMELINE - To view the application timeline, please click here.
For more information on the Peer Advisor program, contact Joshua Miller, Program Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.