Front Desk Assistant Job Description
The Front Desk Assistant (FDA) position is a part-time student paraprofessional position within the Office of Residence Life and Housing, a unit of Student Affairs. The Housing Operations Manager supervises the Front Desk Assistants. The Front Desk Assistants are responsible for performing a variety of front desk and clerical functions and providing quality customer service.
This position will be utilized from August to May.
- Work an average of 8-15 hours per week during the fall/spring semesters.
- Work at least twenty (20) hours per week during the summer.
- Provide assistance to the Director, Executive Secretary, Managers, and Coordinators of Residence Education (CREs).
- Possess a high degree of confidentiality related with working in this position.
- Greet, assist and refer all incoming students, faculty, staff and visitors to the right direction.
- Assist with appointment scheduling.
- Maintain the facsimile (FAX) information.
- Communicate with the locksmith and handle new keys.
- Perform general clerical duties including mailing, faxing, typing, and filing.
- Maintain and update the office bulletin board.
- Maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the Office of Residence Life and Housing reception area.
- Perform other tasks and projects as assigned.
PARTICIPATING AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Greets and communicates on a regular basis with visitors, Office of Residence Life and Housing staff, and University officials.
- Attend weekly staff meetings with the Housing Operations Manager or the Housing Assistant(s).
- Attend required in-service meetings.
- Participate in fall and winter Residence Life Paraprofessional Staff training sessions before each academic semester.
- Fall Training Session in August
- Winter Training Session in January
- Specific training dates will be communicated after hire
- Align priorities so that the job responsibilities take precedence over personal commitments.
- May not have any commitments outside the position (i.e. internship, extra-curricular activities, athletics, and second jobs) without the express consent of the Housing Operations Manager.
- Show knowledge of, personally abides by, and helps enforce the university's policies and procedures.
- Maintain standards of personal and professional conduct and serve as role model for students and other residence hall staff.
- May be expected to participate in Commencement as an usher.
Compensation will be in the form of hourly pay.
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student registered part-time or full-time.
- Must possess experience in planning, participating as a team member, and have knowledge of campus resources.
- Must be in good standing with the University.
- At time of hire and throughout employment, candidate must maintain a Cumulative and Semester Grade Point Averages (GPAs) of at least 2.3 (for undergraduate students) and 3.0 (for graduate students) each semester, including summer sessions (if you are enrolled in summer courses).
- Understands and work within the philosophy of student development held by the Office of Student Affairs at Gallaudet University.
TO APPLY - To apply for this position, please click here.
APPLICATION TIMELINE - To view the application timeline, please click here.
For more information on the Front Desk Assistant program, contact Usherla DeBerry, Housing Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.