Front Desk Assistant Job Description
The Front Desk Assistant (FDA) position is a part-time student paraprofessional position within the Office of Residence Life and Housing, a unit of Student Affairs. The Housing Operations Manager (HOM) and Housing Assistant (HA) supervise the FDAs. The FDAs are responsible for performing a variety of front desk and clerical functions and providing quality customer service.
This position will be utilized from August to May.
- Works an average of 8-15 hours per week during the fall/spring semesters.
- Provides assistance to the Director, Executive Secretary, Managers, and Coordinators of Residence Education (CREs) and Housing Assistant.
- Possesses a high degree of confidentiality related with working in this position.
- Greets, assists and refers all incoming students, faculty, staff and visitors to the right direction.
- Assists with appointment scheduling.
- Maintains the facsimile (FAX) information.
- Communicates with the locksmith and handle new keys and delivers new keys to the residence halls.
- Performs general clerical duties including mailing, faxing, typing, and filing.
- Maintains and update the office bulletin board.
- Maintains the cleanliness and appearance of the Office of Residence Life and Housing reception area.
- Performs other tasks and projects as assigned by the Housing Assistant, Housing Operations Manager, Program Manager, Executive Secretary, or Director.
PARTICIPATING AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Greets and communicates on a regular basis with students, visitors, Office of Residence Life and Housing staff, and University officials.
- Attends weekly staff meetings.
- Participates in on-going training and staff development sessions.
- Participates in fall and winter Residence Life Paraprofessional Staff training sessions before each academic semester.
- Fall Training Session in August
- Winter Training Session in January
- Specific training dates will be communicated after hire
- Aligns priorities so that the job responsibilities take precedence over personal commitments.
- May not have any commitments outside the position (i.e. internship, extra-curricular activities, athletics, and second jobs) without the expressed consent of the HOM.
- Shows knowledge of, personally abides by, and helps enforce the university’s policies and procedures.
- Maintains standards of personal and professional conduct and serve as role model for students and other residence hall staff.
- May be expected to participate in Commencement as an usher.
Compensation will be in the form of hourly pay.
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student registered part-time or full-time.
- Must possess experience in planning, participating as a team member, and have knowledge of campus resources.
- Must be in good standing with the University.
- At time of hire and throughout employment, candidate must maintain a Cumulative and Semester Grade Point Averages (GPAs) of at least 2.3 (for undergraduate students) and 3.0 (for graduate students) each semester, including summer sessions (if you are enrolled in summer courses).
- Understands and works within the philosophy of student development held by the Office of Student Affairs at Gallaudet University.
TO APPLY - To apply for this position, please click here.
APPLICATION TIMELINE - To view the application timeline, please click here.
For more information on the Front Desk Assistant program, contact Usherla DeBerry, Housing Operations Manager, at email@example.com.