The Graduate Assistant (GA) position is a part-time student paraprofessional position within the Office of Residence Life and Housing, a unit of Student Affairs. GAs will work with the Office of Residence Life to meet the needs of a diverse undergraduate and graduate residential student body. The GA will assist with the training and supervision of paraprofessional staff and will address student concerns and developmental needs. The GA will report to a supervising Coordinator of Residence Education (CRE) and will work with other members of the Office of Residence Life in order to create an environment that enhances student growth and development and the overall student experience with an added emphasis on retention of students.
The description of duties, which follows, provides a general outline of the responsibilities of a GA. The GA is assigned to one of the University residence halls. Specific duties assigned vary depending on the needs of the residence hall and student population.
- Assists with the development of a training program for RAs, including the planning and implementation of in service training and residence hall programming.
- Develops strong staff relationships and assist in the supervision of RA staff by facilitating one-on-one meetings and weekly staff meetings.
- Conducts individual RA evaluations and assists the CRE with assessment of paraprofessional programs.
- Be available and accessible to advise and assist students regarding academic and social needs and make referrals to appropriate offices.
- Assists with the interview process for RAs and SubRAs.
- Assists students with roommate and interpersonal conflict management.
- Conducts one-on-one with students on alcohol/drugs violations through Health and Wellness Programs.
- Assists on call team with crisis management as appropriate, including serving on a rotating on-call schedule.
- Assists the CRE in the maintenance of residence halls.
- Works with the Housing Operations Manager in regards to room assignments, room changes, visitor housing, and check-in and checkout procedures.
- Assists in communicating Residence Life procedures to students and paraprofessional staff.
- Maintains direct contact with the Coordinator of Residence Education.
- Maintains payroll information of RAs.
- Maintains residence hall programming evaluations and data.
- Provides support with Maintenance Work Order requests.
- Responsible to maintain the security of the code box and key box and control over the master keys.
- Supports emergency evacuations.
- Maintains office supplies and equipment.
PARTICIPATING AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Participates in fall and winter Residence Life Paraprofessional Staff training sessions before each academic semester.
- Fall Training Session in July/August
- Assist with Resident Assistant training in August
- Winter Training Session in January
- Specific training dates will be communicated after hire
- Assists in opening and closing of the residence hall in December and May.
- Attends graduate and professional staff training.
- Attends weekly supervision meeting with the CREs.
- Serves on University planning committees and initiatives as needed.
- Participating in bi-weekly residence hall staff meetings and GA business meetings.
- Participating in on-going training and paraprofessional development sessions.
- Providing regular e-mail updates regarding situations in the halls using an appointed e-mail address provided by Gallaudet University throughout the academic year.
- Aligns priorities, so GA responsibilities take precedence over personal commitments and secondary paraprofessional jobs on campus.
- Shows knowledge of, personally abides by, and helps enforce the University and residence hall policies and procedures.
- Maintains standards of personal and professional conduct that offers to members of the Residence Life staff/paraprofessional staff and residents.
- Will be expected to participate in Commencement as an usher.
- Performs other tasks and projects as assigned.
Compensation includes hourly pay for a minimum of 25 hours per week along with a free on-campus apartment in the assigned residence hall. A security deposit of $200 is required at the time of acceptance of the job offer.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in the United States or a comparable degree from a foreign academic institution.
- Enrolled in a Graduate Program at Gallaudet University as a degree-seeking full-time student.
- Reside on campus.
- A minimum of one year experience working for Residence Life and Housing.
- Outstanding leadership, communication, problem-solving, and computer skills (including but is not limited to the MS Office Suite).
- Fluent in American Sign Language.
- Must possess experience in planning, participating as a team member, and have knowledge of campus resources.
- Must be in good standing with the University.
- At time of hire and throughout employment, candidate must maintain a Cumulative and Semester Grade Point Averages (GPAs) of at least 3.0 each semester, including summer sessions (if you are enrolled in summer courses). Incompletes will not be considered.
TO APPLY - To apply for this position, please click here.
APPLICATION TIMELINE - To view the application timeline, please click here.
For more information, please contact Kay Amos, Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.