Housing Assistant Job Description
The Housing Assistant (HA) position is a part-time student paraprofessional position within the Office of Residence Life and Housing, a unit of Student Affairs. The Housing Assistant supervises the Front Desk Assistants. The Housing Assistants are responsible for performing a variety of supervision, clerical functions, and providing quality customer service.
- Work 20-25 hours per week (average) during the fall/spring semesters.
- Work 40 or more hours per week during the summer.
- Provide assistance to the Director, Administrative Secretary, Managers, and Coordinators of Residence Education (CREs).
- Manage the daily operations of Visitor Housing including e-mails, prep work, and follow-up.
- Assist with supervising Front Desk Assistants (FDAs) and maintaining their work schedules.
- Facilitate weekly meetings with the FDAs.
- Maintain payroll information of all paraprofessionals working for Housing Operations.
- Maintain the filings in the Central File Room.
- Attend weekly meetings with the Housing Operations Manager.
- Possess a high degree of confidentiality related with working in this position.
- Maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the Office of Residence Life and Housing reception area.
- Perform other tasks and projects as assigned.
PARTICIPATING AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Greets and communicates on a regular basis with visitors, Office of Residence Life and Housing staff, and University officials.
- Attend weekly staff meetings with the Housing Operations Manager.
- Participate in fall and winter Residence Life Paraprofessional Staff training sessions before each academic semester.
- Fall Training Session in August
- Winter Training Session in January
- Specific training dates will be communicated after hire
- Align priorities so that the job responsibilities take precedence over personal commitments.
- May not have any commitments outside the position (i.e. internship, extra-curricular activities, athletics, and second jobs) without the express consent of the Housing Operations Manager.
- Show knowledge of, personally abides by, and helps enforce the university's policies and procedures.
- Maintain standards of personal and professional conduct and serve as role model for students and other residence hall staff.
Compensation will be in the form of hourly pay.
- Must be an undergraduate (junior/senior status) or graduate student registered part-time or full-time.
- Must possess experience in planning, participating as a team member, and have knowledge of campus resources.
- Must be in good standing with the University.
- At time of hire and throughout employment, candidate must maintain a Cumulative and Semester Grade Point Averages (GPAs) of at least 2.7 (for undergraduate students) and 3.0 (for graduate students) each semester, including summer sessions (if you are enrolled in summer courses).
- Understand and work within the philosophy of student development held by the Office of Student Affairs at Gallaudet University.
TO APPLY - To apply for this position, please click here.
APPLICATION TIMELINE - To view the application timeline, please click here.
For more information, contact Usherla DeBerry, Housing Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.