Housing Assistant Job Description
The Housing Assistant (HA) position is a part-time student paraprofessional position within the Office of Residence Life and Housing, a unit of Student Affairs. The Housing Operations Manager (HOM) supervises the Housing Assistant.
The Housing Assistant is responsible for performing a variety of supervision, administrating functions, and providing quality customer service. The Housing Assistant supervises Front Desk Assistants (FDAs) and Visitor Housing Assistants (VHAs).
- Works 20-25 hours per week (average) during the fall/spring semesters.
- Works up to 40 hours per week during the summer.
- Provides assistance to the Director, Administrative Secretary, Managers, and Coordinators of Residence Education (CREs).
- Manages the daily operations of Visitor Housing including e-mails, prep work, and follow-up and submits monthly budget reports.
- Manages Early Arrivals and Late Departures requests and payments from students.
- Maintains housing data on Google Drive as needed.
- Assists with training and supervising Front Desk Assistants (FDAs) and Visitor Housing Assistants (VHAs) and maintaining their work schedules.
- Facilitates weekly meetings with the FDAs and VHAs.
- Maintains payroll information of FDAs and VHAs.
- Maintains the filings in the Central File Room.
- Attends weekly meetings with the Housing Operations Manager.
- Possesses a high degree of confidentiality related with working in this position.
- Maintains the cleanliness and appearance of the Office of Residence Life and Housing reception area.
- Performs other tasks and projects as assigned.
PARTICIPATING AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Greets and communicates on a regular basis with students, visitors, Office of Residence Life and Housing staff, and University officials.
- Leads weekly staff meetings.
- Participates in fall and winter Residence Life Paraprofessional Staff training sessions before each academic semester.
- Fall Training Session in August
- Winter Training Session in January
- Specific training dates will be communicated after hire
- Aligns priorities so that the job responsibilities take precedence over personal commitments.
- May not have any commitments outside the position (i.e. internship, extra-curricular activities, athletics, and second jobs) without the express consent of the HOM.
- Shows knowledge of, personally abides by, and helps enforce the university’s policies and procedures.
- Maintains standards of personal and professional conduct and serve as role model for students and other residence hall staff.
Compensation will be in the form of hourly pay.
- Must be an undergraduate (junior/senior status) or graduate student registered part-time or full-time.
- Must possess experience in planning, participating as a team member, and have knowledge of campus resources.
- Must be in good standing with the University.
- At time of hire and throughout employment, candidate must maintain a Cumulative and Semester Grade Point Averages (GPAs) of at least 2.7 (for undergraduate students) and 3.0 (for graduate students) each semester, including summer sessions (if you are enrolled in summer courses).
- Understands and works within the philosophy of student development held by the Office of Student Affairs at Gallaudet University.
TO APPLY - To apply for this position, please click here.
APPLICATION TIMELINE - To view the application timeline, please click here.
For more information, contact Usherla DeBerry, Housing Operations Manager, at email@example.com.