Visitor Housing Assistant Job Description
The Visitor Housing Assistant (VHA) position is a part-time student paraprofessional position within the Office of Residence Life and Housing, a unit of Student Affairs. The Housing Operations Manager (HOM) and Housing Assistant (HA) supervise the Visitor Housing Assistants. The VHAs are responsible for housekeeping and linens.
This position will be utilized from Commencement week in May to the second Friday of August.
- Works at least twenty (20) hours per week during the summer.
- Provides assistance to the Director, Executive Secretary, Managers, and Coordinators of Residence Education, and Housing Assistant.
- Possesses a high degree of confidentiality related with working in this position.
- Assists in room inspections and prepares rooms for visitors.
- Maintains the cleanliness and the appearance of the rooms/suites in the residence halls.
- Delivers and removes linens from assigned rooms/suites.
- Responsible to maintain the security of the code box and key box and control over the master keys.
- Performs other tasks and projects as assigned.
PARTICIPATING AS A TEAM MEMBER
- May participate in Summer RA training session prior to the end of the spring semester.
- Training Session in May
- Training dates will be communicated after hire
- Work to begin immediately after final exam in May
- Greets and communicates on a regular basis with students, visitors, Office of Residence Life and Housing staff, and University officials.
- Attend weekly staff meetings when scheduled.
- Aligns priorities so that the job responsibilities take precedence over personal commitments.
- May not have any commitments outside the position (i.e. internship, extra-curricular activities, athletics, and second jobs) without the express consent of the HOM.
- Shows knowledge of, personally abides by, and helps enforce the university’s policies and procedures.
- Maintains standards of personal and professional conduct and serve as role model for students and other residence hall staff.
- May be expected to participate in Commencement as an usher.
Compensation will be both hourly pay & free summer housing.
VHAs receive kitchen privileges (for a $150 non-refundable fee) for the duration of employment.
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student registered full-time.
- Must be a full-time student for the following fall semester.
- Must be in good standing with the University.
- At time of hire and throughout employment, candidate must maintain a Cumulative and Semester Grade Point Averages (GPAs) of at least 2.3 (for undergraduate students) and 3.0 (for graduate students) in the preceding fall semester.
- Understands and works within the philosophy of student development held by the Office of Student Affairs at Gallaudet University.
TO APPLY - To apply for this position, please click here.
APPLICATION TIMELINE - To view the application timeline, please click here.
For more information on the Visitor Housing Assistant program, contact Usherla DeBerry, Housing Operations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.