Regardless of your goals, Gallaudet has a program in place that will provide you the tools you need to succeed.

Welcome to Gallaudet University, and greetings from the Office of Research Support and International Affairs!

Regardless of your goals, Gallaudet has a program in place that will provide you the tools you need to succeed.

Degree-seeking scholars:

Deaf and hard of hearing undergraduate students can choose from a wide variety of majors leading to a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree. Undergraduate students have the option of designing their own majors, called "self-directed majors," in which they select classes from a variety of departments at Gallaudet. All students may take courses offered at 13 other institutions of higher learning that are members of the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area.

Graduate programs, open to deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing students, include master of arts or master of science degrees, specialist degrees, certificates, and doctoral degrees in a variety of fields involving professional services to deaf and hard of hearing people.

Non-degree seeking scholars:

The International Special Student Program (ISSP) is a tremendous learning experience designed for non-U.S. students who are not pursuing an academic degree at Gallaudet University. The one- or two-semester program is customized to meet the needs of each scholar.

The International Visiting Researcher Program (IVRP) was established to accommodate a limited number of professors, researchers, and other scholars who wish to use the facilities at Gallaudet University each academic year.

If you are looking to establish a solid foundation in English, the University's English Language Institute provides an intensive English as a Second Language program for American and international deaf and hard of hearing students. Bilingual instruction in both American Sign Language and written English provides a multicultural environment for ELI students to achieve academic, professional, and personal language goals.

If you are interested in learning about upcoming proposed and planned international visiting groups, please go to our International Visitor Program (IVP) Alerts page.

Below you will find information for the contact person who will be assisting you through the application process. 

International Undergraduate Programs Information:  

Your contact person: Tami Santimyer, Admissions Counselor
Department: Admissions Office
Website: Admissions for International Students

Graduate School Programs Information:

Your contact person: Wednesday Luria, Coordinator, Prospective Graduate Student Services
Department: Graduate Admissions
Website: Graduate Admissions

International Visiting Student and Researcher Programs:

Your contact person: Danilo Torres, International Liaison Specialist

Department: Research Support and International Affairs
Website: ISSP/IVRP Application

International Transfer Information:

Your contact person: Laura Willey-Saunders, Transfer/Articulation Coordinator
Department: Registrar's Office
Website: Transfer Credits

English Language Institute Information:

Your contact person: Ali Sanjabi, Coordinator of Operations
Department: English Language Institute
Website: English Language Institute

Please read through and follow the steps for admission below. Included are instructions on how to complete your application and forms. It is important that you read all the directions carefully. 

Step One: Application and Acceptance

International Undergraduate Programs:

To apply for Gallaudet as an undergraduate student, you must complete the international application and all related documents. Use the Undergraduate application checklist to keep track of your progress. 

Graduate School Programs:

To apply for Gallaudet as a Graduate or Ph.D. student, you must complete an application form online only. Make sure that all documents and forms are completed using the Graduate student application checklist.

To apply to the ISSP or IVRP programs, you must complete an ISSP/IVRP application .

English Language Institute:

To apply for Gallaudet as an ELI student you must complete an application form. Make sure that all documents and forms are completed using the ELI application checklist.

Step Two:  Certification of Finances Form

Upon acceptance to Gallaudet University as an undergraduate, graduate or Ph.D. student, you are required to complete the 2014-2015 Certification of Finances Form for Undergraduate Students or the 2014-2015 Certification of Finances Form for Graduate or Ph.D. Students

The purpose of the Certification of Finances Form is to help Gallaudet University obtain complete and accurate information about the funds available to international applicants or admitted students who want to study in the United States.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations require that all international applicants or admitted students provide evidence of adequate financial support before they may obtain an I-20 Form (Step Three). You are required to submit BOTH the complete Certification of Finances Form and original, official financial documents that show you have sufficient funds to pay for university expenses including tuition, books, fees, supplies, insurance, and living expenses.  If your Certificate of Finances Form is not completed or received and approved, you will not receive the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form for F1).

Step Three: Form I-20

Once your Certification of Finances Form is completed, reviewed and approved, International Student Services will send you an I-20, which will be needed for you to obtain a visa. A Form I-20 is an immigration document form that tells the U.S. government that you are eligible for F-1 Student Status.  It certifies that: 

1. You are or expect to be a "bona fide" student.

 2. You meet the admissions requirements.

 3. You will pursue a full course of study.

 4. You must prove us that you have sufficient funds to pay for university expenses including tuition, books, fees, supplies, insurance, and living expenses without working illegally orsuffering from poverty.

Some international students do not need I-20 Forms. J-1 students need Form DS-2019 and should contact the Global Education and Scholar Services. B Visitors and F-2 dependents must obtain an I-20 Form and apply for a change of status to F-1 student to pursue a course of study that is not a vocational or recreational in nature. If you are in other non-immigrant status in the U.S., you don't need an I-20 Form.  Send photocopies of your current visa, passport, both sides of I-94, and your immigration status with your application. Dependent children in E, H, I, J, L, M, N, O, P, R or S status need to change status after their 21st birthday or if they marry. If you are a permanent resident, refugee or person with political asylum status, send copies of your immigration documents with your application. If you are transferring from a U.S. college or university, send photocopies of your current visa, passport, both sides of I-94, and the Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (F-1) status with your application.

Step Four: SEVIS FEE

You are required to pay $200 for your SEVIS fee. Effective September 1, 2004, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires the collection of a one-time fee of $200 from certain international students and visiting scholars. The fee is required to cover operational costs of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).  Students or exchange visitors who are issued an initial Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 on or after September 1, 2004 are responsible for paying this fee before going to their Embassy or Consulate.

Step Five: Student Visa

After receiving your acceptance letter from Gallaudet, you must apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country for the student visa. You will be responsible for making an appointment with a consulate at an Embassy nearest your place of residence after receiving the I-20 with the SEVIS so you can receive the F-1 student visa. The F-1 visa is the most often used visa by international students to study at an accredited U.S. college, university, or English language institute. Students on F-1 visas come to the United States for a full degree program.

It is important to remember that acceptance to Gallaudet University does not guarantee issuance of the student visa. The U.S. Consulate abroad will have the final decision to grant or deny the student visa. When meeting with a U.S. consulate aboard, you will be expected to present the Form I-20 with your SEVIS Fee receipt, your Gallaudet letter of acceptance and proof of financial support.

Canadian students: A Canadian citizen does not need a visa for entering the United States as a student. At the border-crossing point, you will have to present your passport, the SEVIS Form I-20, your SEVIS receipt, your admission letter from Gallaudet University, and financial support documents to the U.S. Immigration Officer.

Financial Resources

Please click on the link below to view the list of scholarships.

World Deaf Leadership Fund

Sasakawa Foundation International Scholarship Fund

Non-Gallaudet Scholarships for International Students

Fulbright Programs

CIEE Study Abroad

Ford Foundation International Fellowships Program

Canadian Students Only

StudentAid BC - British Colombia, Canada
Contact Person: Theresa Cownden
Website: StudentAid BC

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
- Ontario, Canada
Contact Person: Sherry Britton (TCU)
Website: Ontario Student Assistance Program
OSAP Application Guide

Please note that this information is provided as a guide only and is not considered a contract or binding by the University. We hope you will soon join our proud and strong community. Best of luck!


About Gallaudet
2014 Presidential Search
Campus Photos
Clerc Center
Contact Us
Employment Opportunities
Fast Facts
Make an Online Gift
Maps & Directions
Media Inquiries
University Communications
Visitors Center
English Language Institute
Financial Aid
Graduate Admissions
Graduate Orientation
International Admissions
Professional Studies
Test Center
Undergraduate Admissions
Academics & Research
Archives/Deaf Collections
Career Center
Catalog & Course Info
General Studies
Graduate Programs
Honors Program
Office of Academic Quality
Professional Studies
Registrar's Office
Research Support and International Affairs
Undergraduate Majors
Campus Life
Bison Shop (bookstore)
Campus Activities
Food Services
Public Safety
Residence Life and Housing
Washington, D.C.
Tools & Resources
Campus Directory
Daily Digest
Help Desk
Gallaudet Alert-subscribe
GU Press
Kellogg Conference Hotel
Maps & Directions
People @ Gallaudet
Shuttle Bus
Gallaudet University | 800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002
Copyright © 2014 Gallaudet University