Who can submit a report?
Anyone with a Gallaudet email can submit a report by following this link.

Should I approach the student first?
Whenever possible, you should express your concern(s) directly with the student. However, should you have any concern about your safety or the safety of others, your best course of action for the safety of all involved is to access intervention from the BIT and people who are trained in these areas. If you are experiencing an emergency or critical incident contact the Department of Public Safety.

Emergency Lines-Communication Center
Hours of Operation 24 hours each day, 7 days per week (202) 651-5555 (voice/videophone)
dps@gallaudet.edu (email)
(202) 651-5444 (tty)

What if I'm not ready to make a report, but I just need some advice about handling a student issue? You can always contact your supervisor for consultation on a concern or a staff member from campus support services such as Counseling and Psychological Services, the Office of Student Conduct, Academic Advising, etc.  These individuals can provide tips, ideas and resources on how to approach a situation. 

What if I'm not sure if I should report the concern?
You are registering a concern based on an observed behavior (e.g., verbal exchange, action, etc.), not making a determination.  By alerting the appropriate campus representatives, a professional determination can be made.  Let the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) weigh the information and see if gathering more information is warranted.
What will happen to the person who I submit a report about?
Although the action/outcome will depend upon the situation, the BIT will intervene in support of the person of concern, as well as in support of college policies and procedures.

Potential Outcomes of Reports

  • Recommend no action, pending further observation
  • Assist faculty, staff, or student in developing a plan of action
  • Refer to existing on-campus support resources
  • Refer to appropriate community resources
  • Make recommendations consistent with university policies and procedures
  • Facilitate meeting between concerned parties

How will I know that the situation has been addressed?

BIT will address every report that is brought to the committee. Interventions by BIT members typically involve handling of confidential information, so those filing reports will not necessarily know the resolution of a situation. If you continue to have concerns about the situation, please report any new information or updates through the report form.

Will the student know that I am the person who reported her/him to BIT?
BIT will attempt to handle all matters discreetly.  In most cases, we would expect that the student has been notified of your concern (for example, academic dishonesty rulings, classroom disruptions, code of conduct violations).  A reported student will be given specific information about the behaviors/actions that occurred so they can respond to the reported concern.   Therefore, it is possible that a student may know who made the report through the circumstances described to them.

Who has access to a report?
The reports are managed by the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs and Academic Support and are reviewed by BIT members. 
Student Disciplinary Records which include records related to the Student Code of Conduct and records related to the Academic Integrity Policy are considered part of a student's educational record.  Such records are maintained in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

What if I just had a question not answered above, what should I do?
We welcome all questions and suggestions.  To do so, please contact the Dean of Student Affairs and Academic Support at student.affairs@gallaudet.edu