In the weeks leading up to the historic Paris Climate Change conference in November 2015, the White House launched the American Campuses Act on Climate (ACAC) initiative to highlight colleges and universities that are committed to being more sustainable and support an international climate agreement. Gallaudet was one of more than 300 schools that signed onto the White House American Campuses Act on Climate Pledge. With this pledge Gallaudet committed to take following actions:
- Cut Campus Energy Use by 50% by 2035 through a combination of capital improvements and campus education.
- Supply 20% of campus energy from renewable sources by 2020 and 50% by 2030.
- Build new facilities to LEED Silver standards or better, with energy performance at least 50% better than code.
- Increase the percentage of zero emitting vehicles on campus and encourage healthier commuting options.
- Expand opportunities for students and the broader campus community to learn about climate change and sustainability.