Gallaudet Sustainability Initiatives
West facade of LLRH6 dormSolar Array at Student Activity CenterGallaudet's Capital Bikeshare Station
- Achieve LEED Silver or equivalent in all new construction and major renovations.
- LLRH6 achieves LEED Silver Certification.
- New MSSD Dorm is being built to LEED Silver standards.
- JCI Project to retrofit buildings with more efficient buildingsystems and controls.
- Reduce energy use in buildings by 3% per square foot, compared to Fiscal Year 2009.
- Purchase or generate at least 13% of total energy consumed from renewable sources.
- $13.6 million Energy Conservation Project resulted in 22% decrease in energy use between fy 2009 and fy 2015.
- Gallaudet purchases Renewable Energy Certificates (REC's) to cover 17% of Electricity consumption.
- Reduce potable water use by 3% per square foot compared to Fiscal Year 2009
- Installed efficient water fixtures across campus.
- Decreased total water usage by 9% since 2011.
- Increase the percentage of zero emitting vehicles on campus and encourage healthier commuting options
- Two Capital Bikeshare Stations
- Zipcar Station
- Gallaudet Shuttle
Waste and Recycling
- Development of Waste and Recycling Management Plan
- Recycling education initiative
- Single stream recycling