An essay is a short piece of writing that discusses, describes or analyzes one topic. It can range in length from one paragraph to more than twenty. It can be about anything, and be written in almost any style. It can be serious or funny, straight-forward or symbolic. It can describe personal opinions, or just report information.
The Structure of an Essay
Common Types of Essays
- Comparison/Contrast Essays
- Comparison/Contrast Essays: Two Patterns
- Writing the Comparison and Contrast Essay (College of DuPage)
- Definition Essays
- Sample Essay - "The Real Meaning of Honesty"
- Descriptive Essays
- Sample: "A Small, Close-Knit Community"
- Sample: "English is a Crazy Language"
- Writing Descriptions (Purdue University)
- Narrative Essays
- Sample: "Attitude is Everything"
- Sample: "Josie's Triumph
- Cause-Effect Essays
- Sample: "Town Meetings"
- Critical Essays
- Writing Critical Essays about Literature
- Writing A Critical Analysis of a Painting
- Writing a Book Review
- Writing Abstracts and Critiques
- Writing Critiques (University of Louisville)
General Essay Links