FAQ: Deaf and Hard of Hearing Transfer Students

Gallaudet University, located in Washington, D.C., currently has approximately 2,000 students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate programs. Transfer students make up 18 percent of the University's undergraduate student body, and include deaf, hard of hearing and hearing students from over 90 universities and colleges.

How do I transfer to Gallaudet University?
Gallaudet's Office of Undergraduate Admissions will process your application file after receiving all the following items from you: application, $50 application fee, one essay, one recommendation letter from an academic teacher, transcripts from all high schools and college transcript(s) you previously attended, your ACT/SAT scores, and an audiogram.

Do I need to fill out a transfer application?
Yes, fill out the undergraduate transfer application online.

Do I need to retake the ACT or SAT to be able to transfer to Gallaudet?
If you have completed fewer than 12 semester hours of college credit or achieved less than a 2.0 cumulative grade point average, you must submit recent standardized test scores and a final high school transcript. The standardized test scores must be within two years. If you have completed 12 or more semester hours of transferable credit with a grade of C or above in each course and achieved a 2.0 or higher cumulative grade point average, you will be notified by the Office of Admissions if standardized test scores are required.

What courses are not transferable to Gallaudet?
You cannot transfer any non-credit courses from another university or college, or any courses taken at a non-accredited institution. Also, credited courses with a grade level of D or F will not be accepted.

What do I need to send to Gallaudet from my current university or college?
You will need to send in your transcript and undergraduate catalog with course descriptions from your current college as well as all of the other previous colleges you have attended. If your university has an online undergraduate catalog, you may choose to send the website link address in lieu of a hard copy to the transfer specialist at Gallaudet.

I am attending a university that follows the quarter system instead of the semester system. If I transfer to Gallaudet, how are my credits calculated and how many credits are transferred?
As long as the credit courses have a grade level of C-minus or above, you will receive 3 semester credit hours for 5 or 4 quarter credit hours completed, 2 semester credits for 3 quarter credits completed and one semester credit for either 2 quarter credits or 1 quarter credit completed. These quarter hours must be from an accredited college and meet course description equivalence.

I took AP classes in high school. Can I have credits for these courses transferred to Gallaudet University?
Yes, if you get a score of 3 or above and Gallaudet offers comparable courses, your AP credits will be transferred for three credits per course.

I looked at the course description in my college's catalog and see a comparable course description in Gallaudet's catalog. Will Gallaudet accept my course as transferable?
Not necessarily. The transfer specialist shares the course description with the department chair. The department chair then determines whether the courses are equivalent.

How many credits are needed to be considered a sophomore, a junior, or a senior at Gallaudet?
You will be considered a sophomore if you have 25 semester credit hours, a junior with 56 credits, and a senior with 90 credits. If you have less than 25 credits, you will be classified as a freshman.