1. Do I have to be deaf or hard of hearing to apply for the undergraduate program at Gallaudet University?
Yes, international students must either be deaf or hard of hearing to qualify for admission to the undergraduate program. However, hearing students may be considered for the University's graduate and post-graduate programs.

2. What must I do before I apply to Gallaudet?
You need to:

complete a full secondary school education (equivalent to six years of primary plus six years of secondary school) or have university (post-secondary) experience
obtain financial support
make arrangements to take the ACT or SAT test. If none are available, contact the international admissions counselor immediately.
3. Must I take an entrance examination?
Gallaudet University requires that all undergraduate applicants take an entrance examination. International students have the option of taking one of the following below tests:

American College Test (ACT)
SAT (formerly known as Scholastic Aptitude/Assessment Test)
For more information on the ACT or SAT, go to the following websites:


For students who do not live near an ACT or SAT testing center: Ask your school administrator to verify that there are no testing centers nearby and that you will need to take the Stanford test. The school administrator can send the letter and the Test Authorization and Order Form to:

Office of Admissions
Gallaudet University
800 Florida Avenue NE
Washington, DC 20002

After we receive the letter and form from your school administrator, the Stanford test will be mailed to your school.

4. Do you accept documents in a language other than English?
No, all documents must be presented in English. Transcripts must be translated in English by a certified translator.

5. What about financial support? Does Gallaudet provide support to international students?
The United States immigration laws require you to show valid proof of your ability to pay for at least one academic year of study before a visa will be issued. Gallaudet University does not provide financial assistance for first-year international students. First-year international students are not allowed to use on-campus employment as proof of financial support. However, that does not mean there is no assistance available to you. Seek full financial support from your family, government or private/public organizations or agencies for assistance toward your first year of studies. Once you are enrolled at Gallaudet, you can request financial assistance from Gallaudet's Financial Aid Office after completing your first year of studies. You also may be eligible for scholarships from Gallaudet after your first academic year. If you need more time to seek financial sources, ask the Office of Admissions to hold your application file for up to five years. the Office of Admissions will hold your application file for up to five years. After five years, you must apply again. All requests for deferral must be in writing.

6. Is proof of my own financial support required?
Yes, you must submit proof of full financial support or evidence of adequate financial holdings in a bank, for example, a certified bank statement. A United States Immigration Form I-20 or, where applicable, DS-2019 will be released only after proof of financial support has been submitted.

7. Where can I get a copy of Form I-20?
The Office of Admissions will send you Form I-20 after receiving and approving your Certification of Finances Form, Affidavit of Annual Cash Support, and support documents. You need to take that form, your passport, your letter of acceptance from Gallaudet, and copies of your financial support documents to an American embassy or consulate in your home country to apply for a student visa.

8. What is the deadline for Form I-20?
For the fall semester, the deadline is May 30. For the spring semester, the deadline is October 30.

9. What do I need to do to get a student visa?
Acceptance to Gallaudet University does not guarantee that you will receive your student visa. The U.S. Consulate in your country makes the decision to grant or deny the student visa based on the documents you bring.

10. If I get accepted to Gallaudet University, will there be orientation for international students?

For the fall semester, you are required to attend the International Student Orientation (ISO) before you participate in New Student Orientation (NSO). An immigration workshop will be provide during ISO. If you begin in the spring semester, you will receive an individual meeting after business registration.

11. I do not have enough English skills for college-level work. Do you have a program that will help me improve my skills?
Yes, the English Language Institute (ELI) at Gallaudet University is a pre-college program that offers intensive English language instruction to deaf or hard of hearing international students. Many international students apply to Gallaudet University's undergraduate program after successfully completing the ELI program. For more information about the program, visit http://www.gallaudet.edu/wlc/eli.html .

12. Are international students required to live on campus?
You are encouraged to live on campus. This gives you the opportunity to meet and socialize with students from around the world as well as become familiar with American culture, customs, and people. The majority of Gallaudet students live in one of the six residence halls on campus. If you are accepted to the University, you will receive acceptance information including a housing application that must be submitted.

13. Do Canadian students need a passport to enter the U.S.?
Yes, beginning January 2007 all Canadian citizens wishing to enter the U.S. will be required to show their passport.