All Hearing Undergraduate program applicants must attain a score of 2 or better on the American Sign Language Proficiency Interview (ASLPI). A working knowledge of Deaf culture is strongly recommended. The application process has two phases, described below.
The application process has two phases, described below.
Application Process: Phase 1
- Submit your application online, along with the $50 application fee.
- Submit one written essay and one video essay in American Sign Language.
- Send one letter of recommendation, from an academic teacher.
- Request that your high school or/and college transcript(s) be sent to Gallaudet University. We accept both paper and electronic transcripts. If you have your transcript(s) sent electronically, they should be sent to email@example.com.
- If you have completed 30 college credit hours or a combination of 12 hours of college English and mathematics credit with a grade of C or higher in each course, you will be notified by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions if you are waived from submitting ACT/SAT scores.
- After your admissions file is complete, it will be reviewed. You will be notified within two weeks if you are eligible to proceed to Phase 2.
Application Process: Phase 2
- The HUG/BAI admissions counselor will contact you to arrange an admissions interview and language screening.
- At the time of your interview, you will be given information about the American Sign Language Proficiency Interview (ASLPI).
- You will be notified of our admissions decision within four to six weeks.