What we can do for you!
The role of Gallaudet's Office of University Communications is to communicate the University's strategic messages to its key constituencies which includes the campus community (students, faculty, and staff at the University and the Clerc Center), prospective students and their parents, media, alumni, donors, members of Congress, the Board of Trustees, the Washington, D.C. community, deaf and hard of hearing people throughout the nation, and the general public.
Some of the key areas in which the office supports the university include:
Marketing and Creative Services
The Office of University Communications heads the Gallaudet University Marketing (GUM) group which provides coordination of various offices and departments across the campus to ensure a unified and professional presence at off campus conferences and exhibitions.
Marketing and Creative Services, a group within the Office of University Communications, develops print, web, video and other content aimed at showcasing the outstanding academic and campus life at Gallaudet to recruit prospective undergraduate and graduate students.
In an effort to provide support to the campus community and to establish a consistent "look" and brand for the University, the Office of University Communications has developed a system for creative service requests. These tools are designed for marketing and promoting the university and its programs to our external publics, particularly potential students. Priority will be given to those requests that directly support the goals of the Gallaudet Strategic Plan.
Creative Services Request Form
The office is also responsible for monitoring the use of the Gallaudet logo and co-branded department and program logos.
- Visual Identity Guide (PDF)
- Generic letterhead and presentation (Powerpoint) templates
- Instructions to add the logo to a gmail signature (PDF)
- Request the Gallaudet logo
- Request a department/program co-branded logo
- Order printed and electronic letter head and other printed materials
- Order business cards
The Office of University Communications handles media inquiries received by the University and distributes press releases and promotes news about the University among key members of the media. The office receives numerous media inquiries from throughout the U.S. and worldwide.
Recent media hits-Gallaudet in the news
The office will coordinate interviews with the appropriate students, faculty and staff depending on the nature of the request and provide assistance with preparing for the interview including a review of media interview techniques, how to answer difficult questions, and develop talking points. If you are contacted directly by the media regarding a University matter, or if you are planning to give an interview in your area of expertise and would like help in preparing for an interview, please contact the Office of University Communications.
We are always looking for good stories from the campus community to promote in our publications and to the media. There are several ways you can share a good story with the Office of Communications and Public Relations:
- News Submission Form. This form is available for individuals to notify the office of a potential newsworthy item or event, i.e., notable faculty accomplishments or appearances at conferences, an intriguing student internship, a significant grant award or donation to the university, a new academic program offering, etc.
- Daily Digest/Calendar Submission Form. This form is available for students, faculty, and staff to share news and announcements with the rest of the Gallaudet community (Daily Digest) or to add an event to the campus calendar.
- Faculty Media Relations Form. This form allows faculty interested in participating in media interviews to register their interest and their area of expertise.
- Schedule a Photographer
- Hometown Media Program. This is a program to recognize notable students in their hometown publications. Students who are graduating are particularly encouraged to sign up.
If there are any publications you would like to have feature Gallaudet or your program, please send us an email at email@example.com.
Publications coordinated and produced by the Office of University Communications include:
On The Green | Sign up for our monthly enewsletter
News about the Gallaudet University community.
Campus community bulletin: news, announcements and activities.
Gallaudet Today Magazine and Newsletter
Significant facts about the university including enrollment numbers, research, endowment figures, community impact, and more.
A newsletter for prospective undergraduate students
Recruitment book for prospective undergraduate students. Visit the Undergraduate Admission site to see the viewbook.
Other campus publications
- American Annals of the Deaf, professional journal
- Clerc Center publications
- Deaf Studies Digital Journal
- Gallaudet University Press
The office serves as the video creation entity for all web and television based media for showcasing and promoting our wonderful community. The Video Services department assists in providing professional services in developing professional video projects and works in liaison with all academic and campus wide departments. This office responds to all requests and works in planning your project from inception to completion in keeping the Gallaudet University mission true.
Rate Sheet (PDF)
The office oversees the content and design of the top-tier University websites as well as key departmental websites which include the Office of the President and the Board of Trustees. University Communications works in cooperation with various other offices and departments on campus, such as Gallaudet Technical Services, to maintain the University's overall website.
- Visual Identity Guide (PDF)
- Editorial Standards (PDF) Includes information on web writing
- If you have general web questions or feedback about the top level web site, please email the Office of University Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have specific feedback about department websites or if you are experiencing problems accessing with the Gallaudet website, please submit feedback to the Helpdesk. There is a guest login for web visitors who do not have a Gallaudet account.
- If you are a campus employee who needs help to create or maintain a department or program website, please contact the Helpdesk for assistance with access and training.