SECURITY CHECKLIST SECURITY CHECKLIST
OUTSIDE THE UNIT
* Are the buildings and grounds well maintained?
* Are the entryways, sidewalks, and parking areas well lit?
* Are entryways visible from the street?
* Are the residents’ names printed on the mailboxes?
* Is the mailbox lockable and in good condition?
* Are the lots and surrounding streets free of abandoned cars?
* Is parking usually available close to your door?
* Is the area well lit at night and on weekends?
* Are there designated visitor parking spaces?
* Does the apartment complex provide security services (patrols, escorts)?
* Do neighbors feel safe?
* Is the building close to high-traffic, well-traveled areas?
* Are shrubs cut below window levels?
* Are tree limbs cut above window level so that you can see in and out of your home?
* Is the unit number visible from the street?
* Is the property near fire stations and other emergency services?
* Are the alleys around the residence clean?
IN THE UNIT
* Are the exterior doors made of core wood or metal?
* Do the doors have knob locks, chains, deadbolts, and/or peepholes?
* Is there a security system in the building?
* Is there a sufficient number of working smoke detectors in the living space and in hallways? Are they hardwired?
* Are there adequate emergency escape routes in the event of a fire?
* Are there fire extinguishers?
* Do curtains, blinds, and draperies fully cover windows?
* Are there safe places to go in case of a tornado?
* Is there a high turnover of residents?
ENTRANCE TO THE UNIT
* Can the main entryway be easily seen from the street even at night? Is it well lit?
* Are there sturdy locks on all the windows?
* Are security bars/screens provided if it is a ground floor or basement unit?
* Are doors to the laundry room kept locked?
* Does the landlord have a published policy about issuing and replacing keys?
* Does the building have a doorman or buzzer for guests and deliveries?
* Are locks on the doors of the buildings and apartments adequately secured?
* Is there a peephole at the door?
* Do the front and rear doors have 180-degree peepholes?
* Do doors have deadbolt locks?
* If door hinge pins are outside, are they non-removable?
* Does the door securely fit the jamb?
* Is the strike plate securely fastened to the door jamb?
* Is the door jamb fastened tightly?
* Does the bolt extend sufficiently into the strike plate?
* Are key control procedures used to ensure that locks are changed when keys are lost or not returned?
* Are you informed of who has keys to your living space?
* Do sliding glass doors have blocking cleats to prevent opening from the outside?
* Can windows be left open for ventilation is secured?
* Are window air-conditioners secured from the inside?
* Are door locks located so they can’t be reached through a window?