Professor Emeritus Recognition
Every year, Professor Emeritus awards are presented at Commencement to individuals selected by the faculty Committee on Honorary Degrees and approved by the Gallaudet University Board of Trustees. President Hurwitz announced that the following individuals had been awarded Professor Emeritae status. They will be formally recognized during Gallaudet's 146th Annual Commencement on May 13, 2016.
- Dr. Cynthia Neese Bailes, Department of Education
- Dr. Marilyn Ann Sass-Lehrer, Department of Education
- Dr. Donna M. Mertens, Department of Educational Foundations and Research
Nominees for Professor Emeritus must have 15 or more years of distinguished service as a faculty member, and must have retired within the last ten years. Faculty members who have announced their plans to retire before or during the 2017-2018 academic year may be nominated this year.
Nominations for Professor Emeritus status will be accepted on an ongoing basis. The deadline for receipt of nominations for 2017 was Monday, November 9, 2015, and nominations are now closed. Nominations for 2018 are being accepted, with a deadline date of Monday, October 31, 2016.
Supporting material for each nomination for recognition in 2018 must include:
- a completed nomination form for 2018 [Word] [PDF],
- a supporting letter from the nominee's department as a whole, describing why the nominee should be awarded Professor Emeritus status,
- documented evidence of the nominee's achievements and his/her impact on students, colleagues, and deaf and hard of hearing people generally, and
- the nominee's curriculum vitae, or information that would ordinarily be included in a curriculum vitae.
Additional letters of support from individual department members, from faculty in other departments, from other members of the university community, or from people outside the university are welcome.
Please email the Office of the Provost, or call 202-250-2071 videophone.