The Gallaudet Dance Company repertoire encompasses a range of dance forms, including jazz, tap, modern dance, and dance incorporating American Sign Language.
Performances can vary in length from 15 minutes to two hours; a two hour performance must contain an intermission.
Charges-Fees for performances of the Gallaudet Dance Company are used to cover costs of costumes, equipment, and arrangements. To give the best performance possible, we can not do a performance with less than 12 dancers and two directors. (14 people) Funding requirements necessary are as follows:
- Performances on the Gallaudet University campus
- Fee=$300 to $500 depending on whether a meal is provided and on whether sound equipment and a sound technician are provided
- Performances within a 3-hour travel time from Gallaudet University.
- The performance fee can be reduced by $100 if either transportation to the site location or a meal for the dancers and directors (14 people) is provided by the organization requesting the performance. If both transportation and a meal are provided, reduce the fee by $200 to $800.
- Performances beyond a 3-hour driving distance up to 5 ½ hour driving distance from Gallaudet University
- Hotel or lodging for 12-14 dancers and two directors (double occupancy=7 to 9 rooms).
- Two additional meals (or $100 to cover those meals).
- Performances over 5 hours driving distance from Gallaudet:
- Airfare from National Airport (Washington, D.C.) to city of performance. (Coach fare for 12-14 dancers and two directors.)
- Hotel or lodging for 12-14 dancers and two directors which means seven or eight hotel rooms.
- All ground transportation.
- All meals.
Specific details are negotiable. In the past, organizations sponsoring a performance of the dancers have been able to arrange discounted fares for travel and/or board and lodging. The company would be willing to work out exact prices with a travel agent. Our goal is simply to cover expenses. Please before requesting a performance, check and determine if you have the funding requirement for a performance. Thank you.
Facility and Equipment Requirements
- Minimum performance area of 30' x 20'; wood floor, clean surface.
- Electrical outlets.
- Microphone and stand or battery (lavolier) microphone.
- CD player/stereo speakers.
- Lighting: Stage lights on; house lights off.
- Stage monitors; two speakers.
- Dressing area for dancers, close to the performing area.
- Water and cups for the performers.
- Warm-up time in the performing area or in a practice area (green room) for one to three hours prior to show time.
To book the Gallaudet Dance Company, call 202.651-5591 V/TDD or e-mail email@example.com.
Photography by Astrid Riecken.