We’re going through accreditation again?This year, KDES and MSSD have begun the important process of applying for reaccreditation. We are currently accredited jointly by the Middle States Association (MSA) and the Conference of Educational Administrators of Schools and Programs for the Deaf (CEASD).
Accreditation encourages ongoing school improvement, provides a way for us to be accountable to our public, and promotes the involvement and commitment of everyone involved with our schools.
What is Excellence by Design?Excellence by Design (EBD) is the accreditation protocol that we have selected. It serves as a framework and provides a self-study process that uses strategic planning as a means for growth and improvement in student performance and in the school’s capacity to make this possible.
Who will oversee the EBD process?The Clerc Center Community Advisory Committee, consisting of members from KDES and MSSD stakeholder groups, will serve as the oversight and decision-making body for the EBD process.
What happens during the self-study?The self-study is the most important stage of the entire accreditation process and will normally take about 18 months to complete. During the self-study, we will:
- Develop a Mission Statement, Belief Statements, and a Profile of Graduates--These are foundational documents that define our goals and hopes for the schools, our beliefs about the work we do with students, and what we expect students to know and be able to do upon graduation.
- Develop Status Reports--The data and reports will focus on student demographics and performance as well as on information about our teachers, staff, and schools.
- Assess Our Organizational Capacity--A survey for families, teachers, staff, and middle and high school students will help us determine how we are meeting professional standards established by the MSA.
- Set Goals for Student Achievement and Organizational Improvement--We will set two student achievement goals and one organizational improvement goal based on the results of the above reports and surveys. Once set, the schools will work on these goals for the next seven years. As part of our work, we will develop plans to achieve the goals and select tools to measure our progress.
- Host a MSA/CEASD Site Visit--Our MSA/CEASD accreditation site visit will take place in the spring of 2011. A team will visit KDES and MSSD to review our accreditation documents and meet with teachers, administrators, staff, students, and parents to learn more about our schools. At the end of the visit, the team will share their accreditation recommendations with us and then submit a formal report to the MSA board.
How do I find out more?We will offer a variety of input and feedback opportunities to the school community stakeholders throughout the accreditation period. We value your participation and will keep you updated about EBD as the self-study progresses. Keep checking this website and the Clerc Center Daily for updates.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or ideas, please contact the EBD internal coordinators, Lynn Olden or Liz Stone, via e-mail, videophone at (202) 559-5079, or phone at (202) 651-5959 (Voice/TTY).
We look forward to working together for the growth and improvement of KDES and MSSD.