School of Education, Business and Human Services
Department of Education
Gallaudet's Department of Education, established in 1891, is an American Sign Language/English bilingual, diverse, multicultural learning community devoted to preparing teachers, researchers, educational leaders and international development advocates. The department boasts a faculty of experienced, innovative teachers and scholars, many with national and international reputations in the education of deaf and hard of hearing students.
Undergraduate teacher preparation programs in the department include: early childhood education (ECE), elementary education, secondary science education, secondary English education, secondary mathematics education and secondary social studies education. Each of these nationally accredited programs leads to recommendation for general education licensure in the District of Columbia, with interstate reciprocity in a number of states.
Students who graduate from an undergraduate education program who are interested in licensure in deaf education may be eligible for the department's Master of Arts program in deaf education. This program requires one year and one summer of courses, and an on-the-job internship.
One hundred percent of recent department alumni are employed or pursuing advanced studies within one year of graduation. Read more about our alumni outcomes.
Gallaudet's Department of Education programs are nationally accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and recognized by the following professional associations:
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (Early Childhood B.A.)
- Association for Childhood Education International (Elementary Ed. B.A.)
- Council on Education of the Deaf (Deaf Ed. M.A.)
- Council for Exceptional Children (Deaf Ed. M.A.)
- National Council for the Social Studies (Secondary Social Studies B.A.)
- National Council of Teachers of English (Secondary English B.A.)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (Secondary Math B.A.)
- National Science Teachers Association (Secondary Biology and Chemistry B.A.)