At Gallaudet University, all US Citizens and eligible non-citizens are required to complete TWO applications, EVERY YEAR in order to determine eligibility for federal and institutional aid programs.
Applying for Financial Aid is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
1. FAFSA(Free Application for Federal Student Aid) requires family/student income and asset information, and calculates the Estimated Family Contribution amount (EFC).You may choose any of these three methods to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in English or Spanish:
- Apply online at http://www.fafsa.gov (Recommended)
- Download and complete a paper FAFSA (Note: Paper FAFSAs must be mailed for processing)
- Request a paper FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 1-319-337-5665. If you are hearing impaired, you may contact the TTY line at 1-800-730-8913.
Gallaudet FAFSA Code: 001443
You will need to enter this code on your FAFSA, in order for Gallaudet to receive your results .
2. IFAA(Institutional Financial Aid Application) asks for additional information necessary to determine your financial aid eligibility and award scholarships that may match your individual profile.
The IFAA should be completed online in BISON. Log in with your Gallaudet username and password. Click on "Self Service", then click on "IFAA" (under Campus Finances ). Click HERE for step-by-step instructions for completing the IFAA.
After the Financial Aid Office has received BOTH the FAFSA and IFAA, we will determine your eligibility for grants and scholarships. A Financial Aid Award Notice will be sent to you and your financial aid award information is also posted in Bison.
If you provide contact information for a VR Counselor on your IFAA, the Financial Aid Office will automatically send him/her your financial aid information by email.
Use the Schedule of Tuition and Fees to calculate an estimate of what your total cost will be, per semester, at Gallaudet University. If the grants, scholarships and VR support you are expecting are not enough to cover your expected expenses, proceed to Step # 3.
3. Student/Parent Loan Request Forms are required for all students and/or parents of dependent students, whom wish to borrow loans to pay for any remaining educational expenses not covered by institutional scholarships, federal grants or other financial resources.
Once you have determined an exact dollar amount you need to borrow, you must print, complete and mail, fax or deliver the appropriate Loan Request Form(s) to the Financial Aid Office.
It is important to keep copies of all income tax forms because they will be needed to complete the FAFSA and are required by the Financial Aid Office to verify application information. Students who work but do not file a tax form should keep copies of their W-2 forms for this purpose.
In order to be considered for University grants and scholarships, both the Gallaudet Institutional Financial Aid Application (IFAA) and valid results of the FAFSA must be received in the Financial Aid Office no later than*:
July 1st for students enrolling Fall/Spring or Fall only
January 12th for students enrolling Spring semester only
May 18th for students enrolling Summer semester
It is best to apply as early as possible, since institutional grants/scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
*The Financial Aid Office will continue to review applications after the deadline dates; however late applications will be reviewed for Federal Grant and Loan eligibility only.
For direct links to all Financial Aid application forms, please click on Applications and Other Useful Links