MSSD LRC Circulation Procedures
Registration: Users must register in the LRC before borrowing LRC resources. Users must provide their permanent address, parent/guardian information, and other identifying data. Users of the on-line catalog do not need to register. Registered users are assigned computerized patron barcodes.
Checking Out Items: Limits on the number of items that can be borrowed will depend on demand for those items. MSSD students, teachers, and staff members have top priority access to LRC materials.
Circulation Period/Due Dates: Loan periods vary. The LRC will adjust due dates as necessary.
- Books in general stacks, back-issue periodicals -- two weeks
- Closed Reserve Fiction/Non-Fiction -- two weeks
- Computer programs, CD-ROMs -- two weeks
- Most Reference items -- overnight
- Videotapes -- same day
- Current periodicals -- 3 p.m. the first day to 8:30 a.m. the next day
- Posters, maps, pictures -- one school year
- Ready Reference, daily newspapers -- in-house only
- Vertical Files and all else not listed above -- two weeks
- AV equipment -- based on availability and demand; not to exceed one school year without AV Media Department approval.
- Renewals -- Loans may be renewed for additional two-week periods as long as no other patron has placed a hold on the items. Renewals may be done at the LRC charge desk.
Winter and Spring Break: As much as possible, we encourage students to return LRC items before leaving for these holidays.
Overdue Loans: As a sign of trust, the LRC does not charge overdue fees. However, students with overdue items will lose their library privileges until the items are returned or replaced. Near the end of each quarter, or when the librarian deems it necessary, copies of overdue notices and bills will be sent to parents/guardians.
Lost or Damaged Items: To reimburse the library for lost or damaged books, the borrower must do one of the following:
- Work in the LRC for the equivalent of minimum wage until the cost of the item is "paid for."
- Write a check or money order for the amount equal to the acquisition cost of the item (payable to MSSD/LRC).
- Replace the item with an identical item.
Graduating students must return all items to the LRC or ensure replacement of lost or damaged items in order to pick up their diplomas and final transcripts. Students who do not return or replace LRC items at the end of the academic year may have the cost of the materials deducted from their deposit.