Maintaining Legal F-1 Status
To maintain legal F-1 status, the student must follow the immigration regulations outlined below.
F-1 students must have:
- Full-time course load
- Undergraduates need to take 12 credit hours per semester
- Graduates need to take nine credit hours per semester
- English Language Institute (ELI) students need to take 18 credit hours per semester
For employment, F-1 students are:
- Allowed to work on campus up to 40 hours per week during summer or winter vacation
- Not allowed to work off campus without proper authorization
- Eligible for Employment Authorization (based on severe economic hardship) **ELI students not eligible
In addition, F-1 students must:
- Report a change of address to the Office of Research Support and International Affairs (RSIA) within 10 days
- Keep track of the expiration date on the Form I-20
***NOTE: It is each student's responsibility to know and comply with all immigration regulations affecting their visa status. Failure to comply with these regulations will mean the LOSS of their F-1 student status.