FOP Frequently Asked Questions


How can I pay my child's tuition bill? You can pay online via your child's Bison Account, or in person at the Cashiers Office located in College Hall B04.

How can I reach my child in case of emergency? You should contact the Department of Public Safety, please follow this link.

I would like to reserve a hotel  near Gallaudet. Where can I find the information?  There are many lodging accommodations nearby Gallaudet University - please refer to the Hotels link.

What will the Family Orientation Program  cover? Is there a cost? There is no charge, the program is FREE.  The Family Orientation Program will provide information for parents on various academic programs and other services.

What is FERPA? Please check the FERPA page for more information


What should I bring to Gallaudet? You need to bring specific things, please refer to the Residence Life page<

Where do I go when I arrive for NSO? Please see Department of Public Safety to obtain Student ID or attend New Student Orientation Business Registration day on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at University Field House.

I am new to the university, how do I find my way around campus? You will have Bison Leaders (BL) who will help you during your first week at Gallaudet University NSO Program. Bison Leaders will make sure that Gallaudet will be your home away from home.

Do I need placement testing? Placement test rooms are located in JSAC classrooms and you will be given a room number during NSO Business Registration Day at Academic Advising Booth. Your advisor will have the information to see if you have completed all your placement testings.How do I find out who is my roommate/dorm name? To find out the following information, please contact


Does my son/daughter need a meningitis vaccination? Yes, please make sure they get vaccinated before coming to Gallaudet.

What kind of services are provided at the University Health Center? We provide basic internal medicinal, and referral service. The Health center is not the primary health provider for students.

What are the fees for services? A semester charge will be $50.00. There is also a small fee for vaccinations and other services.

Does the Health Center accept my family's insurance plan? Depends on the scope of coverage, Student Financial Services now oversees the insurance waiver/coverages.

Does the University require that students carry health insurance? Yes, the University requires that students are covered by their health insurance plan, please see Student Financial Services for more information

What happens to the students in case of an emergency? It depends on the nature and scope of the situation, calling an ambulance might be appropriate. However, the first response to emergency will be handled by Department of Public Safety.

Will you notify me if my son/daughter is ill? No, we will not.

Safety and Transportation

Theft situations happen everywhere, how do I ensure my belongings are safe on campus or off campus? Lock the doors before you leave, refrain from sharing information about what you have at home, take advantage of the on-campus escort service provided by the Department of Public Safety, engrave your valuables with operation ID, a service provided by the Department of Public Safety, never prop your doors open, never allow strangers to come in your home, and lock all valuables in your desk or closet before you go out.

Is there a safe alternative to walking alone on campus during late nights or early mornings? The Department of Public Safety has an escort service, and will send an officer to escort you to where you need to go on campus. The officers do not step off campus.

I don't have a car, how do I get around? There are many different ways of getting around the Washington DC area. Gallaudet University provides shuttle bus services to the closest metro station, there is a public bus stop at front of Gallaudet University, or you could always call a cab.


What should we do if our son/daughter's exams conflict with the holidays/family events? Students should check the final examination schedule online  before they purchase flight tickets.If there is a conflict, they will need to discuss with their instructors to see if they can make up the exam. The decision is made at the instructor’s discretion.

How can I get information on my child’s academics/grades? Grade reports are available to the student only. If you wish to review the grade report, ask your child to obtain a consent form that will require both of you sign it. The signed form will be kept in the student's files. FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) does not allow us to share academic related issues with parents without the child's consent.


I have some questions about on-campus and off-campus housing? Please refer to the detailed Housing FAQ page.